Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Garote loves cyclists

This gentleman is fully excellent (on this webpage, anyway).

He says:
"Life is too short to stay in the suburbs anyway, and it's too short to spend it all inside a car.  In fact, screw this whole frustrating, isolating, expensive, car-worshipping paradigm.  You can escape it!  A bicycle can take you there! And to everyone who has ever driven their car past bicyclists, only to park at a fitness center:  Don't let fear control you. There are local resources to help you integrate bicycling with your life, and cycle safely. You can spend that 50 dollar membership fee at your favorite restaurant instead (and still get in great shape). And there will be less post-modern irony in your life. Heh heh heh."

Check out his whole pro-bike, not-so-keen-on-bike-hostile-urban-design rant here: http://garote.bdmonkeys.net/bike_charger/1-Introduction_and_Rant.html.

I also enjoy his focus-on-the essentials, grass roots approach:
"I could start listing off the various brand names of the components...  Who made the shifters, who made the frame, et cetera, like all the other gearheads do ... but it honestly doesn't matter.  I bought it used, and I have no idea what I'm riding.  All I do know is that it's a mountain bike, and that the handlebars are weird. (Actually, the term "mountain bike" is almost an anachronism.  The classifications get much more complicated.  You can find bikes custom built from the frame on up, for high-speed racing, long-distance touring, short-distance touring, rock-hopping, stunts, riding mountain trails, or tooling around downtown.  If I had an extra four thousand bucks lying around, I could easily drop the full amount on any one of these.  Well, actually, I'd rather spend the money on food, and keep my bike.  Hah.)"


You rock, Garote! Station!

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't argree more. The best thing about riding a bike is the ease at which I can travel in my town. For one, I don't have to stop at red lights anymore. The town I'm from has so many stop lights, that I can actually get from one end to the other side of town faster on a bike because I don't have to stop anymore. The time saved by taking a bike is also complimented by the exercise that I get. People drive to the fitness club and circle the parking lot looking for the closest spot so they don't have to walk far, just to go inside to get on a treadmill. I have lost quite a few pounds now that I ride a bike. I also don't have to worry about DUI's anymore when I have a few with my buddies at the pub. Bike riding is just a win, win, win, situation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! Where do you live? I thought bikes have to stop at red lights.

      Delete